[Naples]: [ca. 1800-1820].
Oblong quarto. Half vellum with marbled boards. 1f. (recto manuscript titling within highly decorative engraved border printed in dark green incorporating musical instruments with engraved text at lower margin: "Si vendeno nella libreria di Giuseppe Chiricone nelle co se dell'Eccellen.ma Sig: Marchesa di S. Marco a Fonta: Medina No. 31," verso blank). 78ff. with title to recto of first leaf. Notated in ink on 10-stave laid paper.
Contains 12 duets for soprano and tenor with keyboard accompaniment:
- Perché vezzosi rai. 1v-4v - Se tu mi sprezzi. 5r (title), 5v-9v
- In amor chi mai fin'ora. 10r (title), 10v-13v
- S'io t'amo oh Dio mi Chiedi. 14r (title), 14v-17v
- [Sei tradito eppur mio core]. [18 lacking], 19r-23r, 23v (blank)
- Sempre saro costante. 24r (title), 24v-25v, 26r (blank)
- Voci canore e tenere. 26v-32v
- Parlagli d'un periglio. 33r (title), 33v-39v
- T'intendo si mio cor. 40r (title), 40v-46v
- Del mare all'onda instabile. 47r (title), 47v-58v, 59r (blank). With significant cuts and alterations in pencil.
- Veh come i Lampi striaciano. 59v-74r, 74v (blank).
- Se più felice aggetto. 75r (title), 75v-77v
Binding quite worn, scuffed, and creased, with paper loss to edges; split at hinge and partially detached; front free endpaper quite creased; rear free endpaper lacking. One leaf lacking (18, containing the first measures of "Sei tradito eppur mio core"). Occasional light creases and thumbing, not affecting music.
Asioli composed numerous duets that have been preserved in many collections, both printed and manuscript, attesting to their popularity in the early 19th century; RISM lists 10 manuscript collections and dozens of individual pieces.
The present manuscript contains duets found in several larger published collections, including that of Sauer in 1803 (RISM AA 2502 III,21) and Lorenzi in ca. 1825. The numbering and order of the duets in the present collection, however, differs from those in other collections; there does not, in fact, appear to be any standardized numbering of these songs.
Chiricone was a bookseller and publisher in Naples active at the turn of the 19th century.
Price: $400.00 other currencies