Paris; Londres: Jules Rouam; Gilbert Wood & Co, 1886.
Small folio. Half dark brown morocco with marbled boards, marbled endpapers. 1f. (half-title printed in red and black, verso copyright), 1f. (recto blank, verso frontispiece), 1f. (recto title printed in red and black with small circular portrait of Wagner, verso blank), 1f. (recto dedication to Fantin-Latour, verso blank), [vii]-xvi (preface), 346 pp. + 1f. (recto publisher's advertisement, recto publisher's device).
Profusely illustrated, including 14 fine original lithographic illustrations by Henri Fantin-Latour, each preceded by a tissue-guard with printed titling, as follows:
- La Muse
- Rienzi (acte V). Prière de Rienzi
- Le Vaisseau Fantôme (acte III). Ravissement de Senta et du Hollandais
- Tannhaeuser (acte III). L'Étoile du soir
- Lohengrin (acte III). Scène d'amour
- Tristan et Iseult (acte II). Signal dans la nuit
- Les Maître Chanteurs de Nuremberg (acte Ier). Rencontre de Walther et d'Éva
- L'Or du Rhin (scène Ire). Les Filles du Rhin
- La Valkyrie (acte Ier). Sieglinde et Siegmund
- Siegfried (acte III). Évocation d'Erda
- Le Crépuscule des Dieux (acte III). Siegfried et le Filles du Rhin
- Parsifal (acte II). Évocation de Kundry
Binding slightly rubbed and bumped; spine cracked, with minor chips to head and tail. Very slightly worn and soiled; occasional foxing and staining; two plates detached, including frontispiece.
"One of the key figures in the history of opera, Wagner was largely responsible for altering its orientation in the 19th century. His programme of artistic reform, though not executed to the last detail, accelerated the trend towards organically conceived, through-composed structures, as well as influencing the development of the orchestra, of a new breed of singer, and of various aspects of theatrical practice." Barry Millington, John Deathridge, Carl Dahlhaus and Robert Bailey in Grove Music Online
Fantin-Latour (1836-1904) was a highly acclaimed French painter and lithographer; his works exhibit a Romanticism which found expression in his representations of the music of both Berlioz and Wagner. He is represented in the Louvre and in other major museum collections.
Price: $200.00 other currencies